Sunday, July 1, 2007

Odds and ends.


Lee called me from the campground in Alabama where he and the boys are tonight. He said they have a lakefront site, though the drought there has moved the shoreline a ways away from the campsite.

He reported that their neighbors on the right have a pit bull chained to a tree and all afternoon listened to NASCAR racing on the radio at top volume; the neighbors on the left have a portable satellite dish; and behind them is a family in a camper with a Pepsi machine outside the door of their camper.

He said "If you want to feel good about yourself, go to a campground in middle Alabama."

. . . . . . . .

Last night I gave myself a pedicure and channel surfed. I had planned to watch "Amelie", which is my all-time favorite movie, but I found "Annie Hall" on WPBA, no commercials, so I watched it. It's so hilariously dated, but it has some great scenes, like when Woody Allen goes home with Diane Keaton for Easter, and her grandmother serves ham. They show the grandmother looking suspiciously at him, then they cut over to him, and he appears as a Hasidic Jew, with heavy beard, forelocks, and hat.

. . . . . . . .

I worked in the garden this morning, then went to the thrift store, DSW shoe warehouse, and Old Navy. At DSW, I found some cute Skechers embellished Mary Janes, for fall. At Old Navy I bought Michael a new swimsuit and a t-shirt, and Will some shorts. I tried on a few things, but it seems like most of it is baby-dollish and looks terrible on me. I wound up just buying myself a few shelf-bra tanks.

I went to a Bikram class late this afternoon. I sweated so much I looked like I'd been swimming. My hand towel was absolutely soaked from wiping sweat and there wasn't much dry space on my yogitoes, either.

The last couple of Bikram classes I've taken, when we do the second set of padahastasana (which is like the ashtanga padahastasana except that the hands are cupped under the heels, not the toes), I feel this series of quick pops across my middle back, very much like what I get when the chiropractor adjusts me. It is wonderful!

. . . . . . . . . .

Tomorrow morning I have a dermatologist's appointment, to have a rough brown spot on the side of my left calf checked out. Everytime I do a forward bend I see it, and it's weighing on my mind, so I'm glad I could get in so soon. I called Friday and was very suprised to hear that the NP, who I really like, could see me Monday, so I jumped on it.

I'm going to tackle the carpet cleaning tomorrow afternoon - my friend Beth loaned me her Rainbow machine - and tomorrow evening I'm going to attempt an Intro to Second Series class.

. . . . . . . . . .

A few photos:



This is growing next to our driveway, from a seed dropped by a bird leaving the birdfeeder. I swear we didn't plant it ourselves.



Beautiful, fragrant sage growing next to our driveway.



Our vegetable garden: strawberries, tomatoes, and a bell pepper on the left; tomatoes in the middle, and on the right, that bed has the season off, but it's been heaped with compost and is sprouting all kinds of stuff, including an avocado, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, sunflowers, and potato vines.



What I got from the garden today.

2 comments:

Yogamum said...

I am in AWE of your garden! And that sunflower is amazing! I wish a bird would leave me one of those.

Lisa said...

me too! I'd love to have a garden like that, but I'm too girly about dirt and bugs!!! :)