Saturday, June 30, 2007

Another first.....


I did my first assisted dropback today. It would be fair to say that John did most of the work, though.

Went to advanced primary this morning - this was the class about which I complained last week, when the teacher didn't start until 20 after 9 and we didn't get all the way through primary.

John taught today so we started on time. He kept things moving along and it was great. It was super humid in there, though...I sweated like I do in a Bikram class.

One of my breakthroughs today was experiencing a much easier navasana than I normally do. I loathe navasana. I hate any kind of core work. But today, it just felt easier and my legs were straighter, with less effort, than ever before.

Then John wanted us to press up to handstand in between, which of course is out of my league. I did some practice kicking-up, though. Most other people did the same, from what I could tell.

I couldn't get myself in supta kurmasana today, alas....got my hands bound easily, but couldn't hook one foot over the other to cross. Also, my hair got in the way...when I tried crossing feet, I was pulling my own hair.

So when we got to backbends, he had us do three urdva dhanurasanas, each of which I huffed and puffed through, then he said "stand up. Then drop back." Pretty much everyone laughed at him. No one could drop back on their own so he started coming around and assisting. The first two times, I chickened out halfway back and came up. I watched him as he went around and helped the others drop back. I guess I wanted to assure myself that he wouldn't drop me. Then he came back to me and I said "OK, I'm ready." When I was almost down I reached up and grabbed his arm and he said "I swear I'm not going to drop you. Reach for the floor." I did, and voila, there it was. Then he pulled me back up. Whee! I did it.

I also did two successful chakrasanas today. They're so fun - I don't know what I was scared of before.

Stopping to do dropbacks kind of got me out of my groove for closing, though. I love closing, but today I was distracted.

Lee and the boys left this morning to camp either until Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning. After yoga, I painted a wall in the kitchen, then took a shower, ate lunch, and went and poked around this big antique mall nearby. I'm leaving in a few to go to a taco place to meet a friend I haven't seen in a long time.

1 comment:

Dharmaparma said...

Hey well done thats fantastic :)