Saturday, June 23, 2007

Bushisms.

Lee has a "Bushism-A-Day" calendar at work, and he saves the ones that are especially moronic and brings them home to me. To wit:

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across the country." - Poplar Bluff, Missouri; September 6, 2004

"I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe, and what I believe - I believe what I believe is right." - Rome, Italy; July 22, 2001


Went to advanced led primary this morning. I left a few minutes earlier than usual, because the boys were still asleep and I thought I'd better git while the gittin' was good. So I got there at about ten 'til 9, which would have been fine, except that the teacher - a new one - did not get started until twenty after nine. Which meant that I sat there waiting for a half hour. And because she counted so slowly, we had to skip everything between kukkatasana and setu bandasana. And this is a class that lasts and hour and 45 minutes. I was feeling a bit grumpy about it. My only led primary in a week and I don't even get to do the whole thing.

I did, however, get myself into supta kurmasana on my own again. I didn't think I was going to be able to manage it, because I was unable to scoot my own feet together after kurmasana and had to kind of look up to use my hands to move my feet. Usually when I do that, my shoulders aren't as far under my legs as they need to be to bind. I did manage to bind, though, and then got one foot atop the other, then used the top foot like a hook on my lower foot to cross my ankles and then get them behind my head. While I was there I made it a point to concentrate on my breath, since usually I am so busy getting into the posture and then thinking "woo hoo!" I am not breathing correctly.

I also chakrasana'd directly into chataranga today for the first time. Usually my knees hit the floor first, since I'm still doing kind of a sloppy backwards roll, but today I focused on straightening my legs as they came over and I did it.

Also, in shoulderstand, I experienced, ahem, a problem exclusive to women doing inversions. Fortunately, there is a lot of street noise so the studio is not quiet, and I don't think anyone heard me, but still....after several months of this I'm realizing it only happens at a certain point in my cycle - shortly before I start my period. Isn't that wierd? For the whole rest of the month, it's not an issue. I was so worried that it would happen again in headstand that I was completely tense and could only stay up for about eight breaths.

I've never been aware of anyone else doing it where I could hear, but surely it's a common problem. Or maybe the street noise is just really good at drowning it out.

1 comment:

Yogamum said...

There is a whole thread about that phenomenon over on the Ashtanga EZ board!

http://p196.ezboard.com/byoga84291

It's either in the Asana section or 99% practice.

I haven't had that happen personally but I think you're right about the timing.