Monday, February 11, 2008

Could I have found the cause of my back issues?

Thanks to Tova's comment in my last post, I went looking for information on the psoas, and, long story short, I think that I may have created my own problems by using a yoga ball to sit on at the computer, instead of a chair. I think that my posture, combined with trying to engage my core in order to balance, has shortened, strained, whatever, my psoas muscle.

Last week I ditched the ball and got a chair, and today, in the vinyasa class I took, I pushed up into urdva dhanurasana, and I wasn't even that warm, but it felt the best it has felt in six weeks.

I am going to continue to work on stretching my psoas, and see if it doesn't keep improving, if in fact that is what the problem is!

The excitement level is ramping up around here: it's all Legoland, all the time. The first thing Michael said today was "four more days until we go to Legoland!" I'm pretty excited, myself . Today I went to Target to pick up a few things for the trip and spent $96. How is that even possible?

I have to, um, facilitate Valentines for Will. I say facilitate because I am going to try to avoid having to do them all myself, but that is probably what will happen, because Will hates to write, draw, or scissor. Michael has opted not to do Valentines for his class. I asked him several times if he was sure. "I know all the girls will do them, and I know for a fact that of the boys, Grant and Garland are doing them." "I know. I still don't want to do them." "Are you sure you will feel okay about it if you are the only person who doesn't do them?" "Yes, I'm sure, I don't mind." Alrighty then! I admit feeling a pang that my little boy doesn't care about the Valentine's exchange with his classmates anymore, but then when he held my hand unselfconciously the whole walk home from school, I felt very happy.

5 comments:

Yogamum said...

How odd -- everyone says those ball chairs are good for you! I hope you continue to see improvement.

Oh no, Valentines! We have no plan. I'd better find out what the kids want to do.

Kayla said...

Yeah, I know! I thought so too. I think what I was doing was tilting my sacrum too far down and forward in order to be comfortable and balanced, and then engaging my core, and so I was actually kind of crunching through there. We shall see!

Kaivalya said...

I ditched my balance ball a few months ago and don't miss it. I found it was causing problems with my feet (long story, but apparently I was coming onto the balls of my feet to stablize myself).

I now sit on an ordinary folding chair in lotus or Siddhasana and it feels much better. I've also started using my desk less and opting for lotus on the floor, working at a coffee table.

Anonymous said...

Kayla, Tim Miller is going to be coming to Charleston, SC at the end of March for a weekend workshop. Let me know if you're interested and I can send you the info! Glad you are feeling better! - Wayne

Kayla said...

wayne - do send the information about Tim Miller on! Not sure I"d be able to go - we are going to Edisto Is. in early April - but I'd love to try! Thanks!