Saturday, July 28, 2007

I did it.

Got my nose pierced AND got my legs fully straight in kurmasana.

But first things first.....I had an appointment for the piercing today, but I had a haaarrdd day with the boys yesterday, so when Lee got home, he told me to go do something by myself. I called the piercer to see if they could take me then and they could, so I went.

It was suprisingly low key. I filled out a form, handed over my ID, paid, read the aftercare instructions, and picked out my jewelry (I opted for a flat titanium piece instead of a gem or a ball). I'm not sure what the technical name is - it's a stud, not one of those ones that has an L-shaped hook.

Anyway, after everything was sterilized, she took me back, had me lay flat on a table and cleaned my nose with some strong-smelling antibacterial (I guess) cleaner....draped a cloth over my face that had a cutout for my nose....gloved and masked up.....then asked me if I could feel the pressure on my nose. I said yes, she told me to take a deep breath and let it out, and then I felt the pinch. It only lasted a few seconds and didn't hurt much; having blood drawn is more painful than that was. She inserted the stud, told me to go look at it and that was it.

Here it is:



You can barely see it in the photo because of my POS camera but it's there, on the right side. Of course, it feels very obvious to me and I keep feeling like I need to take a kleenex and clean out my right nostril.

After 30 days or so I want to get it changed to something smaller. This piece is a bit bigger than I wanted, but the piercer told me I had to wait until it was healed to go smaller.

So, kurmasana: John had a teacher trainee adjusting with him today so the adjustments were plentiful and good. He seems to know who needs adjustments for what so he was waiting for me as I lowered myself into kurmasana. He took my ankles and moved them so they were more in line with the width of my mat, pulled gently straight out on my ankles and voila! perfectly straight legs. Then he went behind me and pushed so that my chest was on the floor. He got me into supta kurmasana too: I bound with hooked fingers and he crossed my legs and got them behind my head.

His Saturday class is usually a full-on butt whipping, and today's was no exception: for urdva dhanurasana, he wanted us to push up, then walk five steps forward, five back, five to the right, then five to the left. Come down, back up, then 180 degree turn. Back down, back up for thirty breaths, lifing alternate legs and hands. I tried the walking thing, but it was very difficult to know if I was moving in the right direction so I only managed a few steps. I also tried the 180 degree turn, but again, I didn't know if my feet were doing what my brain was telling them to do. I couldn't hold for the thirty breaths (or lift my arms and legs) but I did push up and hold for five, lower down, push up and hold, several times.

I have that pleasantly-tired, achy-joints, I'm-gonna-sleep-well-tonight feeling.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting your nose pierced - it's fun to try new things! Hmmm.... maybe if I get *mine* done, I'll be able to fully get into Supta Kurmasana too! ;->

Yogamum said...

Yeah, I didn't know piercing was the secret! I've been thinking about a tattoo but maybe a nose piercing would be better. I wonder if my husband would freak. Not that it matters...

Kayla said...

My husband is totally cool about the piercing, but a tattoo, now *that* would make him freak.

Maybe if I get the other nostril pierced, I'll manage to do a handstand. ;-)

Lisa said...

Okay, that's it! Nose piercings for everyone in order to get into new poses!!!

Anonymous said...

congrats. you probably WILL be needing to get the kleenex out to clean out the right nostril now that you have a snot attracter in it.

Yogamum said...

Well, the thing about a nose piercing (snot attractor! LOL!) is that if you get tired of it, you can let it close up. Unlike a tattoo, which requires a lengthy removal process...

I do think my husband would freak. I think I might do it anyway ;-)