We're heading to Grayton Beach on Saturday morning for spring break week and everybody - well, except for me, of course - has already mentally checked out and gone to the beach. I still have to face the responsibilities of snack week for Michael, a Silent Auction meeting on Wednesday, my last Decatur 101 class on Thursday, not to mention the usual grind of meals, laundry, and homework, etc., etc. AND packing.
After a good bit of googling, I found a yoga studio not too far from Grayton that might have a class for me next week. It's sort of a generic sounding flow class, but I can probably handle it.
I had a hard time dragging myself out of bed this morning to practice. Sitting on the edge of the bed, I thought about getting back under the covers, but the thought that I wouldn't be able to practice tomorrow or Wednesday propelled me up. Boy, practicing straight out of bed is HARD. My first surya namaskar a's, I could barely touch the floor. My plan was to do David Swenson's 45 minute short form, but you know, I'm not crazy about skipping postures. I've decided I'd rather start at the beginning and do what I can in the time I have. So I did. I went (almost) straight through, skipping only utthita hasta C, paschimottanasana B, janu sirsasana B & C, mari D, and skipping some vinyasas between sides. I was in kurmasana when Lee returned from his run and started banging around in the kitchen, feeding the cat and making coffee, so I blew through baddha konasana, one backbend, shoulderstand, plow, urdva padmasana, matsyasana, and two (nearly there) headstands.
I don't think I will ever come to enjoy ardha baddha padma uttanasana, though it is very similar to Bikram's toe stand, one of my favorite in that series. I can't seem to position my lotus foot on my thigh in a comfortable spot, and balancing is so difficult. I have no problems with ardha baddha paschimottanasana, though.
Though I was very stiff this morning, practicing when I'm in a bit of a mental fog is always helpful to me...my mind is not awake and I'm right there with the postures instead of off thinking about something else. Hmmm, maybe I should start skipping my morning coffee on the days I want to have a good focused practice.
Haaaa, maybe not.
No comments:
Post a Comment