Friday, March 30, 2007

Headstand is mine!!

I did it!

Today in intermediate primary, when we reached that point in the series, I put my towel on my mat and started to go up to my usual halfway. The teacher came over to me and said "you should get your arms closer together" and he moved my elbows closer together, like maybe to 60 degrees. It felt unfamiliar, but steadier. I still only went halfway, but stayed there for two sets of ten breaths.

When I got home, I tried again on the living room rug. First time, I got about three quarters of the way. Second time - got it! I stayed for a few breaths, then came down. Third time, did it again and stayed for seven breaths. It's the last little adjustments when I'm fully horizontal that I'm working on - pointing my toes, making sure my legs are totally straight, and trying not to wobble.

I did it! Rock on!

4 comments:

Yogamum said...

Congrats!! That first headstand is such an awesome feeling!

okrgr said...

congratulations. that is definitely one of those "milestone" poses, the ones where the memory of first getting it done stands in your memory for years.

i read back a few posts and saw that you were doing the pose straight legged up to a horizontal leg position. somebody has been teaching you right, imo. keep it up. once you have done a couple or few more times and have gotten a good sense of which muscles to engage when while upright, you'll likely see that holding it vertically is less taxing than holding it with your legs out horizontally, a hidden easter egg

Anonymous said...

hooray for you!

Danura said...

nothing beats the adrenaline rush of getting up there! i love inversions!
Well done! :)